As you probably know, Instagram Stories are popular. People love them. In fact, over 500 million Instagram users watch stories on a daily basis. If you have already started creating your own stories, that’s great. And if you are just going to create your first story, that’s also fine. Whether or not you are a social media veteran or a total beginner, you always want to make your stories better, more creative and interesting. In order to achieve this, you need the right tools. In this article, you will learn about the five (5) best apps for Instagram Stories, all of which – if used right – will bring your Instagram stories to the next level.
#1 UNFOLD – The Highest-Rated App for Instagram Stories
Used by over 10 million people, Unfold is one of the absolute top apps for creating stunning Stories for Instagram and Snapchat. Not only is it hugely popular, but it also has a whooping rating of 4.9 stars and is recommended by the App Store’s Editor.
With Unfold, your Instagram and Snapchat Stories will look like they took hours to craft—even if you pieced yours together in less than a minute. Unfold’s stylized templates (Selena Gomez and the White House social-media team are fans) make it easy to transform your videos, photos, and text into a storyboard you can share with the world.App Store Editor’s Review
With the free version you get access to:
- 25 free templates
- Advanced text editing tools with beautiful fonts and unique stickers
- Photo and video formats
- Unfold Camera that helps you capture photos and videos right in the app
- 10 filters and effects
- Export stories in high resolution to other platforms
If you decide to upgrade to Unfold+, you get access to all to all app features, fonts, 150+ story templates. You can also purchase collection and fonts you like separately.
#2 INSHOT – The Most Popular App for Instagram Stories
With over 100 millions users worldwide, InShot is one of the most popular photo and video editing apps out there. It has a wide range of functions covering your every Story need. It is the go-to app of numerous social media influencers who edit media for Instagram, YouTube or Tik Tok every day — professionally.
With InShot you can:
- Trim and merge videos
- Crop videos to create short clips and add a boomerang effect
- Adjust speed of your videos to create time-lapse videos or slow motion
- Add music, sound effects & voice-overs to videos
- Add beautiful filters and effects to photos and videos like glitch, old TV, mirror, mosaic and more
- Adjust film frames to change your video’s format and/or add text overlay. You can also easily make your vertical or landscape photos square to make them suitable for Instagram
- Add text, emojis and animated elements to photos and videos
- Access advanced photo editing tools and collage templates
#3 CANVA – The App, The Myth, The Legend
Not feeling creative today? Try Canva. On a list of best apps for Instagram stories, Canva is a given. This free tool with hundreds templates created by professional designers is renowned all over the world. When you use Canva, all you need is just to add your own pictures and text. How simple is that? And if you want to design everything yourself then that’s possible, too. Just use their free photos, illustrations, elements and fonts to create something truly unique!
I have been a Canva Pro user for years. In fact, all social media graphics and thumbnails for Blogging from A to Z are created in Canva. The app is great and super easy to use, as is the desktop version. There are great templates for Instagram stories, many of which make it easy to create long multi-post stories with a visually cohesive look.
- The largest collection of ready-to-edit templates for stories, social media posts, ads and more
- An gargantuan number of stickers, icons, badges, textures and frames – you will definitely find something suitable for any imaginable project 🙂
Btw, if you would like to learn how to use Canva to design graphics for social media, take a look at this Canva 2019 Master Course created by Ronny Hermosa. He is hilarious and knows the ins and outs of Canva better than anyone. 8,5 hours of video lessons for the affordable price of merely 19,99 dollars. I think it’s a great deal.
#4 HYPE-TYPE – the Font-Lover’s Choice
Hype-Type is a great tool for people who love fonts. I’ll admit it — I’m one of them. I can use hours just browsing fonts, trying to find the one that is just right. What Hype-Type does, is that it adds stunning animated fonts on photos. So if you want to achieve this effect, get this app!
- Great selection of text animations and fonts
- Supports photo and video format
- It’s super easy to use: just upload your photo and add your text overlay
Unfortunately for Android users, Hype-Type is currently only available to iPhone users.
#5 OVER – The Video Creator’s Best Friend
Last but not least, the Over app. It is another fantastic app for creating Instagram stories, especially video stories — or any kind of visual content for that matter. Here you will find thousands of templates for all imaginable purposes. In fact, there are over 10 000 items to enhance your graphics such as fonts, stickers, templates, clipart and so on. I especially like their Discover page that helps finding new cool templates. I really need this function, since there is so much to choose from 🙂 There is also a free mini-course to help you advance your design skills and learn to use the app to its fullest.
- Vast selection of professional backgrounds, exciting fonts, adorable stickers. Actually there are over 10 000 of creative elements to choose from.
- Effortless work-flow
- Plenty of easy-to-edit photo and video templates
- Great collection of stunning pre-designed templates for Instagram Stories
- Content can be shared to social media directly from within the app
BONUS. Editable Instagram Story Templates
If you need 100% professional-looking Instagram Story templates that really stand out, check out Creative Market. There are hundreds of gorgeous Instagram templates to choose from. Some of them can even be edited in Canva.
I hope you will find a suitable app for your story designing needs. Is there any other apps or tools you would absolutely add to this list?
Have a great and creative day! 🙌🏼